Calendar for September 2020
September is the 9th month of the year and has 30 days. Season (Northern Hemisphere): Autumn
Phase of the Moon:
|September 2:||September 10:||September 17:||September 23:|
|Full Moon||3rd Quarter||New Moon||1st Quarter|
Holidays and Observances in U.S.:
- 7: Labor Day
Holidays and Festivals around the World:
- Labor Day
- Grandparents Day
- Patriot Day
- Constitution Day and Week
- Rosh Hashanah
- Talk Like a Pirate Day
- National Hispanic Heritage Month (Sep 15 through Oct 15)
- National Potato Month
- National Chicken Month
- National Piano Month
- National Biscuit Month
Fun Facts about September:
- It is the first month of the Autumn or Fall season.
- Constitution Week takes place during the month of September.
- September in the Northern Hemisphere is similar to March in the Southern Hemisphere.
- American college and professional football begins during the month of September.
- Many kids begin the school year during this month.
- Teacher’s Day is celebrated in India on September 5.
- The Anglo-Saxons also called this month Gerst Monath meaning barley month. This is because they would harvest their barley crops during this month.
- September is often associated with fire because it was the month of the Roman god Vulcan. Vulcan was the Roman god of fire and the forge.
History of September:
September was the seventh month of the original Roman calendar. This is where it got its name which means seventh. Later, when January and February were added to the calendar it became the ninth month.
When the British changed from the Julian calendar to the Gregorian calendar in 1752, they needed to adjust some days to get the seasons aligned with the months. They took 11 days from the month of September jumping directly from September 3rd to the 14th. Now it’s as if the days between September 3 and 13 during 1752 never happened in British history.
September in Other Languages
- Danish: september
- French: septembre
- Italian: settembre
- Latin: September
- Spanish: septiembre
- Japanese: 九月 – kugatsu
- Chinese (Mandarin): jiuyuè