Calendar for August 2020
Full Moon in August 2020
|August 3:||August 11:||August 18:||August 25:|
|Full Moon||3rd Quarter||New Moon||1st Quarter|
Holidays and Observances in U.S.:
This month have no Federal holidays
Holidays and Festivals around the World:
- Friendship Day
- Raksha Bandhan
- Women’s Equality Day
- National Catfish Month
- Harvest Month
- National Water Quality Month
- Peach Month
- National Immunization Awareness Month
- Get Ready for Kindergarten Month
Fun Facts about August:
- It is the last of the summer months.
- The Islamic holiday of Ramadan runs from July 19 to August 18 in 2012.
- August in the Northern Hemisphere is similar to February in the Southern Hemisphere.
- Augustus renamed the month of Sextilis because many of his greatest triumphs occurred during this month.
- August is a month of summer vacation and holiday for many children around the world.
- Many cultures call this month the harvest month or the time of harvest.
History of August:
In the original Roman calendar the month of August was called Sextilis. This was because it was the sixth month of the year. Later, after January and February were added to the calendar, it became the eighth month of the year. At the time the month had 29 days. When Julius Caesar created the Julian calendar in 45 BC, two days were added giving the month 31 days. The month was later renamed Augustus in honor of the first emperor of Rome, Caesar Augustus.
August in Other Languages
- Danish – august
- French – août
- Italian – agosto
- Latin – Augustus
- Spanish – agosto
- Japanese – 八月 (Hachigatsu)
- Chinese (Mandarin) – bayuè