Calendar for February 2021
Phase of the Moon:
|February 4||February 11||February 19||February 27|
|3rd Quarter||New Moon||1st Quarter||Full Moon|
Holidays and Observances in U.S.:
- 1: First Day of Black History Month
- 14: Valentine’s Day,
- 15: Presidents’ Day (Most regions)
Holidays and Festivals around the World:
- Chinese New Year
- National Freedom Day
- Groundhog Day
- Valentine’s Day
- Mardi Gras
- Ash Wednesday
- Black History Month
- American Heart Month
- Chocolate Lover’s Month
- National Bird Feeding Month
- National Dental Month
Fun Facts about February:
- It is the shortest month of the year.
- The Welsh call February “y mis bach” which means “little month”.
- It is the third month of winter.
- In the Southern Hemisphere February is a summer month the equivalent of August.
- The month is named for the Latin word februum which means purification.
- Together with January, it was the last of the months added to the Roman calendar.
- The largest American sporting event of the year, the Super Bowl, is held in February.
- The Saxon term for the month, Sol-monath, means “cake month”. This is because they offered cakes to the gods during this month.
History of February:
February was added to the Roman calendar in 713 BC. The length of the month changed over time and, at one time, it had as few as 23 days. When Julius Caesar remade the Roman calendar, the month was assigned 28 days during normal years and 29 days during leap years which occurred every four years.
February in Other Languages
- Danish: februar
- French: février
- Italian: febbraio
- Latin: Februarius
- Spanish: febrero
- Japanese: Nigatsu
- Chinese (Mandarin): èryuè